I am studying in the Marketing in the 21st century class at University of Southampton. One of assignments is I have to write 5 blog posts.
OMG! What!? He is kidding me? That was my first thought because I had never written blogs before. But I didn’t want to bias and think too much, so I tried to read others’ blogs to learn how to write it and searched more about blogs, then I wrote it.
Now I wrote finish 4 blog posts already and this is my last blog (in my life). Thus, I would like to share my opinions.
- Why is the assignment to write a blog? I think it is limited students idea. This course is Marketing in the 21st century. There are a number of Marketing methods via online platforms such as social medias, blogs, microblogs, websites. Why don’t lecturer open a chance for choosing with our creativity?
- Is the blog still effective in this age? As there exist many of online tools, especially social media. Consumers’ behaviour has changed from getting information or communicating on companies’ websites and blogs to social network platform such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter which there are more traffic than. One problem is users approach the blog (which they want) harder because information is overload on Internet. Everyone can register and create his/her blog easily. So, if the lecture would like us to use the blog for communicating, he should teach or guild us how to make your traffic. I knew that content must be interesting but just content is not enough. Anyway, I realise that many companies still have a website and bloggers also have their blogs, however they moved to created Facebook fan page to be a channel to communicate directly with their audiences and to PR their blogs or websites.
- Blog is limited. As can be seen, blog platform uses the Freemium model that is you can use a basic function for free if you want to get more function or full you must pay for them with under condition. That makes sense for start-up and growth period of business life cycle while it doesn’t good strategy now. Besides, the basic function has some problems. Fro instant, I inserted two pictures in the centre but the lay out can’t response my mind. One of them was arranged in the centre and the one was arranged in the right side in below line. Obviously, we cannot design the layout to be gorgeous much as we need.
- The content is too long. In new generation, they don’t want to read whole articles or long articles because they are many information in digital world. Molesworth, M (2015) said in our class that “500 words is too long for reading. Audiences don’t read it.” But I don’t understand why we have to write blogs, not microblog or online status on Facebook or note in LinkedIn. Does it make sense?
I think the world has changed dramatically now, the modules and assignments in all universities should keep being up-to-date.
- Figure1, available from: http://konacompany.com/3-benefits-of-blogging/#prettyPhoto [Accessed 9 November 2015].
- Figure2, available from: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140813120
052-14431679-the-story-behind-you-must-be-the-change-you-wish-to-see-in-the-world [Accessed 10 November 2015].